Wednesday, February 04, 2009

"Masarap Ba Mag-Asawa?"... Let Me Count The Ways

At the gym today, my nosy neighbor of about 50+ years old asked a younger man who was on the treadmill "masarap ba mag-asawa?"... It was an ambush no doubt and the man was caught by surprise... I was caught by surprise and could not resist eavesdropping.

For a good 30 seconds or so, the man stood frozen, seemingly thinking deeply, his face not at all happy. I thought I saw a smirk(?)... Then my nosy neighbor once again asked "ilan taon ka na bang married?". To this the man replied "10 years". This was getting exciting, I too have been married for 10 years and by this time I really could not wait for the man's reply to the first question. In my mind, I wondered if my husband, being married for 10 years as well, would react in the same manner.

Then his answer came-- "It depends... depende eh. Minsan okay." Then I felt sad.. for him... for all married men and women who feel such way. Then I asked myself "masarap ba mag-asawa?" My answer was (and is) a yes! Then I felt happy for me... for my husband (gulp!).. for all married men and women who feel the same way as I am.

I know for a fact that it is not easy being married for a lot of reasons --the arguments (big or small); the stress from providing for a growing family (emotional and financial); the little annoying habits of your spouse which have haunted you since you were dating, and that you now have bravely acknowledge as part of his "character".. oh the list could go on... but still for me, being married is bliss. Let me count the ways why "masarap mag-asawa":

1. I have a running partner- who believes in me and pushes me to push myself to discover strength I never thought I had
2. I have someone to enjoy 80s music with
3. I have someone who finishes my dinner when I go "takaw-tingin".
4. I have someone who never fails to compliment me and also point out my flaws (but still able to make it sound funny that we end up laughing about these!)
5. I have someone to fix my laptop and to calm me down and convince me that it is not yet time to throw the @%#$%*^% machine
6. I have someone who can get rough with the boys because "Mom does not really enjoy wrestling, or ballgames.."
7. I have someone who listens to my whines... to my cheap thrills... and understands (or maybe just pretends to, but who cares?!)
8. I have someone to sip margarita with at the end of a rough week
9. I have someone who takes care of the kids when I need "me" time
10. I have someone to share success with.. and tell me honestly when I fail

My list could go on... my list seems trivial... but underlies that for me, to be married is to never be alone- it is having a partner in big or small times, good or bad times.

No comments: