Sunday, March 25, 2007

On Weddings and Marriages

I have done my first wedding photo shoot last week! It got me so high... so pumped up. I am passionate about my photography that is why. And to photograph people in their emotional highs is one magical experience.

I was a total stranger in the wedding, just one of the "photographers", but the joy and romance in the air was just so contagious. The father of the groom delivered a very inspirational speech. According to him, he was a simple man who farms in the province and been married for 27 years (or was it 29?). He had some advice to the newly weds-- and they were words of wisdom spoken with conviction. He attributed his and his wife's successful "pagsasama" to three things enumerated below. And I could not agree more.

1. Patience - There will be trials for sure. But when there is patience, there is always a positive outlook-- there is always hope. Be patient with each other. Be patient with each other's dreams.
2. Transparency - Always be transparent to your partner. Be truthful. Be honest. Lying only begets more lies. Need I say more?
3. Respect - Never lose your respect and admiration for your partner. It keeps both of you going. It keeps both of you inspired and assured.

So there, my key takeaways from that wedding were not only photography experience and tips from the professionals whom I was lucky enough to work with. But also a reflection on being married.

No comments: